THE APPLE DOESN’T FALL FAR FROM THE TREE




The month of March = Endless activities on Women Empowerment irrelevant of what positive result it may or may not bring. A chance conversation with a friend on how women are breaking stereotypes got my train of thought chugging once again. Do we really break the moulds that hold us or do we just exchange them for another newer mould? 

As long as man lives in society, there are bound to be stereotypes for both genders... Sorry to be politically correct, for all genders. Men too are cast in certain roles with loads of expectations that they are forced to live up to. But, as we are celebrating “Women’s Day” this month, lets stick to our favourite and oft discussed topic.

Growing up in Delhi, admitted to the right type of Christian schools, taught the correct deportment and social etiquette, joining the right colleges in Delhi University assured that we had gathered all the necessary skills useful in setting up homes and raising families.

 The fact that we were bright and toppers in schools and colleges was much flaunted and appreciated by the parents but was never considered to be a basis for any other future career apart from marriage. And to be fair to the parents, we were also happy with the same as our conditioning was so deep rooted to not expect or want anything else.

 Having started working in our family business made me realise the possibilities of having both family and career. Over the years, as I watched my daughter grow into a bright soul with an enquiring mind, I knew I could not deny her the opportunities I had missed out on. There was no question about it, after all I was a different generation from my parents!

 I encouraged her to think of all possibilities, explore her passions, to be financially independent and carve a career for herself. Little did I realise, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

When the time came for her to select her path, I gently tried to push her into “family oriented careers”… Maths/Chemist Hons (college profs), Nutritionist, Medicine and if you really want to push the boundaries, maybe I’ll accept a career in veterinary sciences as she loves animals.

I thought I was being very different from the earlier gen but I didn’t realise I was trying to take decisions for her, just like my parents did for me. I thought I was a modern age mom, encouraging her to work. But deep in my heart, no matter how well intended my wishes were, I wanted her to have a career which would not stand in the way of her promising future as a daughter in law! That she can select a life partner to match her profession or God forbid, maybe not even have one, never entered the discussion :p


 
My first thought when she shared her dream of becoming a marine biologist was, “Shucks, there goes my dream of a big fat wedding in a rich Punjabi family 😂.” 

Second was, “How will I find a boy for her gypsy lifestyle… How will I answer the world if she is alone, without the ‘protection of a husband or in laws’?? “

 The conditioning over the generations is so deep rooted that we are and will always be typecast in different roles and be expected to fulfil those roles to the T. We will continue to seek societal approval by following the norms set by it.


Luckily, she’s of a different mettle altogether and forged her way ahead (her father had a big role to play but that’s a different story). Her unconventional thinking has helped crack my mould to quite an extent. She’s an accomplished marine biologist currently doing her PhD in Oxford. Her unconventional track gave me sleepless night while she worked with fishermen in a village for months, travelled to the remote-est of places for her projects or disappeared from the radar due to lack of cellular signals…
 

But, watching her happily stride ahead in her path, I realised one truth. We don’t need to break any moulds, we only need to stop putting people in them. I truly feel we will actually move out of stereotypes when we accept that a woman is free to make choices concerning her life and what she does with it… Unfettered by society and its imposed norms. 

And we start accepting her choices without questioning them.

Pic Credits:  The Spoilt Modern Indian Woman

Comments

It resonates at every level and I agree to the writers observation that we should not be putting peopke in moulds.it brings out the dilemma of today's mothers beautifully.
Rachna said…
Thankyou for your nice words Lovelifeworshipper... Much appreciated. Just voiced the real life scenarios of today's confused parents.
Nirmala said…
Kudos Rachana, your daughter is lucky to have the right upbringing!! If we stop paying heed to societal norms/ expectations, we will learn to think outside the box!
You have a way of putting the abstracts into right perspective.
An excellent musing!
Eagerly awaiting the next one!
Rachna said…
Thank you so much Nimzzzz. Just the ramblings of a confused parent trying to find a way out of this societal maze we live in
Unknown said…
Beautifully written Rach. Very thought provoking
Anonymous said…
Beautiful article.
I really admire your strength to break free from these moulds that we have created ourselves.
Good read
Soniasehgal6 said…
I have two young aspiring daughters. I completely resonate with your article.Loved it Rachna
Rachna said…
Thank you Sonia and others who have read and appreciated the article. (Sorry, your names are not showing up, so unable to respond to you personally)

Truly speaking, still in the process of getting out of my mould and doing my best to not put my family or friends in one :) Its an uphill battle and I hope to reach the summit someday
Shamita Sharma said…
Yes we do put our children especially girls in a certain mould.We claim to be the broad minded accepting generation, but its just thqt we have made a wider mould for them than our parents. We are quick to be critical of anything done beyond societal norms, which we consider as normal. We do have to let our children blossom and probably have more faith in ourselves and our parenting. Thanks Rach, writing this down just cleared my head q lot. It was a domino effect.

Popular Posts